|Empowering Kidney Kids for Lifelong Sucess|
|Suzanne Billings Memorial Scholarship
Click Here To Apply To The Suzanne Billings Memorial Scholarship
Suzanne Billings was a pediatric social worker who dedicated much of her professional life to working with families of children with kidney disease. Suzanne was integral in the development of NW Kidney Kids and served as President of the Board from 2013 until her death in 2017. Suzanne radiated joy and pride in her kidney kids' accomplishments; she was a true champion for her families and is beloved and missed by all whose lives she enriched over the years.
In the spirit of Suzanne's life work, a scholarship has been established to promote independence and self-empowerment. The purpose of this scholarship is to assist in the development of skills and knowledge to facilitate life-long self-sufficiency for a "kidney kid". These funds can be used to support the higher education or technical training of a young adult with kidney disease.
The Suzanne Billings Memorial Scholarship will be awarded annually by NW Kidney Kids in keeping with its mission to encourage young people with kidney disease to realize their potential and embrace their future. For the academic year 2018-19 one qualifying individual will be awarded $2500.
In order to apply for this scholarship award, a person must meet all the following qualifications:
1. Prior to age 18, experience Chronic Kidney Disease stage 4 or 5.
2. Prior to age 18, live within the Northwest Kidney Kids geographic area; that is, live in Oregon or SW Washington and/or see a Pediatric Nephrologist at Kaiser Permanente NW, Legacy Randall, or OHSU/Doernbecher.
3. Born on or after September 1, 1992.
The applicant must also meet one of the following three criteria:
1. Senior in high school with good standing and working towards a high school diploma or GED with plans to attend an accredited higher education institution or trade program for the academic year 2018-2019.
2. Currently attending an accredited higher education institution or trade program with plans to continue for the academic year 2018-2019.
3. Previously completed high school or obtained a GED; accepted and planning to attend an accredited higher education institution or trade program for the academic year 2018-2019.
The applicant may not be related to a current member of Northwest Kidney Kids Board of Directors or member of the Scholarship Committee.
1. Complete online Scholarship Application Form
Section 2: Personal Information
Section 3: Essays
2. Download Letter of Reference and give to the qualifying person of your choice.
3. Download Medical Verification and give to Nephrologist to verify medical diagnosis and proof of care prior to age of 18.
March 1, 2018 Application, Essay, Letter of Reference, Medical Verification Due.
March 31, 2018 - Winner informed.
April 14, 2018 -Winner announced & award presented at NW Kidney Kids Ball